Only 1:4 weekends, no OOH
Salary dependant on experience
We have a fantastic opportunity to join the leadership team at The Vet in the role of Clinical Director. Our Clinical Directors (CLDs) are key members of The Vet’s team, responsible for steering the overall direction and clinical culture of the business…they are ultimately accountable for clinical performance within their centre and across the business via the Clinical Board.
Founded in 2013, The Vet was born with the belief that veterinary healthcare should be made accessible to everyone. We have grown to 8 clinics across the UK with our latest clinic opening in Portsmouth 2018. We do things differently and challenge the status quo when it comes to pet health. We believe in making a positive change to the pet health industry by offering our clients exceptional care and support with fair and value pricing.
Our clinics are some of the best around. The space and facilities here will let you tackle a diverse caseload, building your clinical skills and helping more animals and their humans enjoy life together.
All our clinics and facilities are purpose-built, giving you everything you need to deliver a wide range of care under one roof. Each clinic has its own separate dental, x-ray, lab and ultrasound suites. Each also has at least two operating theatres, six consulting rooms and an open, spacious prep area, as well as separate dog and cat recovery wards and walk-in isolation. We also have a cosy and comfortable staff room where you can relax during breaks and enjoy your free lunch each Friday.
About the role
Working side by side with the Centre Director (CD) they lead the centre to deliver The Vet’s clinical, customer, commercial and cultural ambitions.
The Vet supports its CLDs and CDs to lead with autonomy, acting as a partnership to run their centre as their own. The overall mission is to deliver ambitious and profitable growth through an engaged, motivated, and happy team.
The CLDs are members of The Vet Clinical Board, where they represent the views of their veterinary colleagues in shaping the strategic development and key initiatives within the group.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Practice outstanding first opinion medicine and surgery. Be an excellent general practitioner, with a focus on diagnostic driven practice. Intuitively ‘reads’ the client, patient and the situation and anticipates the client/patient’s needs. Able to influence clients to follow their top-class advice.
- Improve and coach the veterinary team to expand their clinical abilities. Work closely with the Head Vet to ensure there is a robust clinical development plan in place that meets the current clinical needs of the centre, works towards expanding the offering within the clinic, ensures the veterinary team have development plans in place and are meeting their CPD & RCVS registration requirements
- Interpret the clinical audits. Able to engage with colleagues in order to develop them professionally and to improve the whole clinic performance. Able to work within and foster a reflective no-blame culture of clinical audit
- Resolution of clinical complaints in a timely and professional manner maintaining our good reputation and that of the team. Using these as an opportunity to reflect and improve our processes, standards and protocols. Influencing and leading the team to change embedded ways of working to improve outcomes.
- Lead from the front by fostering internal collaboration. Work in partnership with the three functional teams in clinic (Vets, Nurses & Front of House) to act as a unified team that achieves success together.
- Demonstrate an adaptive and inspiring leadership style that engages different individuals within the team and values diversity. Lead the weekly vet meetings ensuring there is regular opportunity for case discussions and the communication of Group initiatives.
- Recruit & retain a high performing veterinary team. This will include exploring new and innovative ways to advertise roles and attract candidates.
- Develop the clinical team by setting clear objectives, holding regular talent reviews, offering coaching and skills development through formal and informal training and Continuous Professional Development (CPD). Foster a learning culture.
- Create and sustain The Vet’s unique culture, be an ambassador and lead the team to live The Vet’s purpose & values.
- Drive the operational management of the clinic, this will include; implementing the operating model with a major focus on workflows, efficiency and productivity whilst maintaining Gold Standard care and team morale.
- Create & communicate staff rotas that deliver the operating model and ensure all procedures and consultations meet Gold Standard expectations in a busy and dynamic clinic environment.
- In line with best in class veterinary standards, coordinate the clinic’s efforts to maintain/work towards Practice Standards Scheme (PSS) certification and achieve further certification.
- Ensure the clinic meets its ethical requirements – all staff act in accordance with the RCVS code of conduct, PSS and VDS guidelines.
In order to be successful in this exciting post, you will be an accomplished leader who is experienced in developing and coaching clinicians to achieve their full potential, whilst demonstrating empathy to create an engaging, supportive and fun working environment.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A first-class vet with a firm understanding of the importance of a “diagnostic-first” approach – we do not advocate symptomatic therapy
- Experience of audit and leading clinical change from audit processes and unexpected significant events
- That you are an individual who enjoys engaging with clients and their pets and understands the benefit of augmenting the owner-pet bond. Excellent verbal and non-verbal communication within a consultative environment
- A professional, confident and calm approach – inspiring confidence in the clients and team. Enthusiastic and positive yet emotionally resilient
- A highly engaging and memorable individual who can quickly establish credibility and respect to build strong relationships.
What we offer
The Vet offers a great work/life balance and a chance to work within our professional & up to date clinics alongside our Clinical Director and friendly team of Vets, Nurses, VCA’s and Receptionists. You will be supported to develop your skills and will have the opportunity to progress.
Staff at The Vet are rostered into a 4-day working week plus 1:4 weekends, with no OOH.
Along with a well-structured rota, you will receive:
- Salary dependent on experience
- 33 days holiday including bank holidays
- Flexible working pattern
- The Vet – Values in Actions Awards
- 5% Pension Contribution
- Cycle scheme
- Mindful Living Courses
- Continuous professional development
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Cover
- Compassionate leave on the loss of a pet
- Employee Discount at The Vet and a reward scheme including external discounts
- Help@Hand Scheme
- Free food Friday’s
THE VET PURPOSE
We do things differently to help more animals and their humans enjoy life together.
We’ve got the creativity and ambition to believe we can change things for the better.
Pets shouldn’t be just for the privileged few, we welcome people and animals of all shapes and sizes. We know how special it is to have animals in your life, because we’re pet owners too.