Taking your pet on Holiday

Taking your pet on Holiday

Taking your pet on Holiday

If you are planning on taking your pet on holiday this summer, or if they are going in to kennels, make sure you are prepared!

Pet Passport

  • If you are planning on taking your dog, cat (or ferret!) abroad, they will need a pet passport before they can travel.
  • The passport must be issued by a vet, and your pet must have a microchip and a rabies vaccination.
  • We advise you book an appointment for passport completion to ensure it is as smooth as possible.

Read more about Pet Passports

Rabies Vaccination

  • Rabies was eradicated from the UK over 100 years ago. There is no need to vaccinate animals that are not going abroad, but in order to protect our rabies-free status, any animal travelling outside of the UK will need vaccinating against this.
  • Your pet must be at least 12weeks old to receive this vaccination, and it can be given at the same time as the usual annual booster vaccinations.
  • Your pet is not allowed to travel for the first 21 days after the first vaccination, so make sure you plan this in advance of your intended travel date!


  • It is now a legal requirement that all dogs in England and Wales must be microchipped, so if your dog isn’t microchipped yet, regardless of where you are travelling this summer, we can do that for you anytime from only £15.
  • If you are going abroad, your pet will need to be microchipped either before or at the time of the rabies vaccination.

Annual Vaccination

  • We recommend vaccination for dogs and cats all year round, but if your pet is going into kennels or to a private pet sitter whilst you go away you will need proof that they are up to date.
  • If you dog or cat has not had any vaccinations before, or they have missed their last booster vaccination, they will need 2 vaccinations 3 weeks apart.

Kennel Cough Vaccination

  • Kennel cough isn’t just for kennels! Kennel cough is an umbrella term for various bacterial and viral infectious causes of a nasty cough which can make your dog unwell. It is spread in tiny droplets of moisture so can be picked up anywhere that large numbers of dogs go not just kennels!

Flea and Tick Treatment

  • Whether your pet is going abroad or going to kennels, we recommend flea and tick treatment year-round. The number of fleas and ticks in the environment increases during the summer months so come in for a free flea check and we can recommend the best prevention or treatment for your pet.

Tapeworm Treatment 

  • Before returning to the UK, dogs must be treated for tapeworm (noted in the passport as “Echinoccocus treatment”). The treatment must be administered by a vet 120-24 hours before travelling back. The vet will sign and write the date and time in the passport.
  • We recommend all pets are given appropriate worm treatment regularly, if regular advocate spot-on is used, a worming tablet only needs to be given every 6 months.

Travelling Outside of the EU

  • If you intend on travelling outside of the EU, it is important to plan this with plenty of notice. A special import certificate may be required, and your pet may need blood tests and specific treatment before travel.
  • If you are planning on going abroad, please call in or phone for advice from a vet so we can make sure all the requirements are met.

Leishmania Vaccinations

  • If you are a regular traveller to Southern and Eastern Europe, your pet could be at risk from a condition called leishmaniasis, which is spread by sandfly bites.
  • It is possible to vaccinate against this disease, but we need extra time to order in the vaccination.