What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is the ability to help restore the movement and function of joints and muscles, by physical methods such as massage, physical movements and exercise.
What is arthritis?
Arthritis or degenerative joint disease is the chronic inflammation of the joint cause by the deterioration of the joint cartilage. This mainly affects the older animal and eventually the cartilage in the joint will be damaged and worn and cause changes in the bone joints themselves.
When the joint becomes damaged it will cause chronic pain in the joint. Arthritis is a progressive disease and cannot be cured. However, the pain that it causes can be controlled with medication and the joints can be helped with physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and supplements.
- Decreased activity i.e. lagging behind in walks, reluctant to play or jump
- Stiffness particularly after rest
- Change in behaviour, often becoming withdrawn or irritable or even aggressive.
- Yelping or whimpering when touched
Benefits of physiotherapy
- Help increase range of motion in limbs
- Increase muscle tone
- Help with balance and proprioception
- Reduction of pain
- Returning a happiness and lease of life that you may have thought was lost
If you have any concerns about your pet, pop in or give us a call, we will be happy to discuss them with you.