Tailor your experience:DogCatSmall FurriesSurprise Mex
The dangers of Xylitol to dogs

The dangers of Xylitol to dogs

The dangers of Xylitol to dogs

You’ve probably noticed this sweetener is very popular this time of year, as it has fewer calories than normal sugar and is frequently used in low fat or low calorie products. Although it’s healthier for us it can be highly toxic to dogs!

This product can be found in all sorts of products including: peanut butter, desserts, toothpaste, condiments and sauces, multi vitamins, protein bars, chocolate, sweets, mints and gum. We advise you check all relevant products’ ingredients and keep them out of harm’s way!

Why is it so dangerous?
Ingestion of Xylitol increases the amount of insulin released into your dog’s body. Insulin leads to a rapid decrease in in glucose levels, these low levels lead to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can develop in to liver damage and ultimately liver failure.

What are the symptoms I need to look out for?
The following symptoms can show only 15 – 30 minutes after consumption of xylitol.

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • In-coordination or difficulty walking or standing (walking like drunk)
  • Depression or lethargy
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

If you are aware of any of these symptoms or think your dog has ingested xylitol, please being your pet into The Vet as soon as possible for a thorough examination. Don’t forget; no appointment is needed, just come into the clinic anytime during our opening hours.

Campbell, A., and N. Bates. “Xylitol Toxicity In Dogs”. Veterinary Record 167.3 (2010): 108-108.

Murphy, Lisa A., and Adrienne E. Coleman. “Xylitol Toxicosis In Dogs”. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 42.2 (2012): 307-312.